Ideally, you will have experience with:
*Optical systems design
*UV detector characterization methods
*Full system integration.
Ann Arbor, MI including 25% travel
Up to $80K, commensurate with experience
PhD in the field of Optical Sciences, Physics, Applied Physics, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or similar
This is a full-time 1-year position with the possibility of a second year and/or full-time employment.
- Hands-on experience with photonics, optomechanics, and spectroscopy.
- Previous experience with laboratory work and in setting up optical systems and measurement systems.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or have work authorization for a U.S. government laboratory.
- Must be available to start employment immediately.
DESIRABLE BUT NOT REQUIRED
- Programming skills (Python or similar) for prototype laboratory testing and embedded controller programming skills
- Experience with vacuum technology and thin-film deposition processes
- Evaluate new detectors and optical designs for efficient, low noise UV detection for use in atomic absorption spectroscopy.
- Design opto-mechanical systems using SolidWorks CAD software or work closely with CAD engineers to realize design ideas.
- Debug control systems and evaluate/test software.
- Assess and determine design feasibility and further product development through hands-on testing of prototype systems at Argonne National Laboratory and local commercial companies.